Friday, October 1, 2010

The BEST Fucking band in The World!



No... you don't understand. I'm serious. They were showing reruns of this back before I was in school, yeah man back in the pre-cable tv days. I used to wait for the Splits to come on. This was probably the first exposure to music I ever had outside of something that was on my mother's turntable. The music on this show stuck in my head for my whole life. Back then a lot of the animated shows, had their own house music... and a lot of it stuck with me. I still say to this day, that the Splits were one of the reasons I went on to play in bands as a teenager and adult. Their music was pretty typical fare for the times. The early Scooby Doo episodes, from the Where are You era in particular had a song in most of the chase scenes, and of course Josie and the Pussycats and the Groovie Goolies featured the characters themselves playing the music. Plenty of live action stuff for the kiddies featuring music as well, not to mention School House Fucking Rock. Kiddy telly was saturated with music, but then I guess it still is. Either way...tell me this doesn't fucking rock?

5 comments:

  1. I must admit, that is some dope shit. I love how the fact that they're in animal costumes makes it kids music. Other than that, it's some straight up ass kicking rock. This is before my time for sure, and I wish it wasn't. I know I would have dug this shit as a lad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally Mike, I have one of the albums they released of these guys on MP3, 90% of the songs have safe yet non childish lyrics. Do you get Boomerang? They play reruns of this still. The show itself is a little silly, but not so much that you'd turn it off. Skits of the "band" goofing off, telling bad jokes and acting as bumpers for mostly cartoons. This show featured a live action serial called Danger Island, which in itself id fucking legendary. Trist me bro, we all went apeshit for this motherfucker here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude that is so weird, I just did a post on some Sid and Marty shit the other day, Big Foot and Wildboy! Right on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool Jay... this was a marriage made in heaven. Mix what would be known as the Kroft Bros. surrealism with the quirkiness of an HB toon...and add to that Rock and Roll... how can it get any better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay so it seems like I got this not being able to make comments thing sorted... although I am still not entirely sure why it waited until today to give me issues...

    ReplyDelete